View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #162 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
trash can lid

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbywan View Post
I love that round opening thingy in the grille, looks like a jet air intake. What is that? I assume you have a controllable air intake there? That whole front end looks really cool. Nice job.
The 'Steve Canyon fighter jet intake' is a stainless steel waste basket lid from a unit that was once sold at Sam's Club.
I first saw them at a restaurant in Colorado Springs.Management would not part with one.
Years later I discovered one in the break room of a Dallas manufacturing company that was a client.They know I'm a nut-case and agreed to swap the lid for a new stainless unit of different design.
It is very much like a turbine inlet.The curvature prevents any vena-contrata entry loss.It's virtually ideal,aerodynamically.Why jets use 'em.
The center bullet valve is a cast-aluminum architectural outdoor floodlight housing I found at a junk dealer in west Texas.I couldn't get it for a junk price though.
In the future,the bullet will move to control air volume into the cooling system,etc.,and completely close off in the winter to conserve engine heat when shut off.Right now,it's in a fixed position.