View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #163 (permalink)
orbywan
EcoModding Apprentice

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The 'Steve Canyon fighter jet intake' is a stainless steel waste basket lid from a unit that was once sold at Sam's Club.
I first saw them at a restaurant in Colorado Springs.Management would not part with one.
Years later I discovered one in the break room of a Dallas manufacturing company that was a client.They know I'm a nut-case and agreed to swap the lid for a new stainless unit of different design.
It is very much like a turbine inlet.The curvature prevents any vena-contrata entry loss.It's virtually ideal,aerodynamically.Why jets use 'em.
The center bullet valve is a cast-aluminum architectural outdoor floodlight housing I found at a junk dealer in west Texas.I couldn't get it for a junk price though.
In the future,the bullet will move to control air volume into the cooling system,etc.,and completely close off in the winter to conserve engine heat when shut off.Right now,it's in a fixed position.
That's awesome Phil, I love it. I need one for my Saturn. That's a thought. Now that I've got the diesel engine on the RV cooling fabulously, if I go to the DM scrap yard and find an air inlet for an F-16 or something and graft it into the front grille and add a flow controller I'd have it licked. Seriously. It's nice to know there are others that share my mental illness. Ha! We don't need no stinking therapy, we just need spare parts!
The Following User Says Thank You to orbywan For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-16-2011)