View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepting View Post
Jim, in a strictly technical sense, I'm not sure this coasting, and my same approach, is pulse-and-glide. I have the impression that true P&G involves accelerating at a engine efficient load, usually something aroung 70%, up to the glide speed and then cutting the ignition and coasting. When the car coasts down to the bottom of the P&G target range, then another cycle is initiated. The theory, as I understand it, is that the engine is always operating in its sweet spot. Maybe I'm wrong on the definitions

Anyway, I do some FAS sections with the key off, but it is usually on downhills, or where I'm going to have to give up speed anyway. I don't consider that P&G, but I don't make a claim to be an expert. Whatever the name, my technique does significantly improve MPG.
Hi Jim,

For me, anytime I shut off the motor and coast, that's part of P&G. Again, just my term.

I think the only way to get much higher than 120mpg with the Insight is to start taking advantage of coasting with the motor off, in one form or another. And this includes using large dose's of MIMA where there are any hills.

Anyone that starts getting figures of 140 or 150mpg, is doing allot of coasting somewhere in the run.

Jim.