View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #96 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Let me know what I am missing here, these are just some swags, but this is what I'm trying to get across, lots of places to lose energy, and 5hp isn't much to begin with, if accelerating or cruising.

Also keep in mind that plenty of folks here get 70mpg+ around town in metro sized vehicles with little more than technique. I get 60mph regularly in my saturn in town and can get 45mpg from here to california.?
I agree this might just be a more hands off method at low speeds to achieve those figures.

Quote:
Perhaps it is because you are starting with 5hp, but it doesn't seem to add up to savings, certainly it does not add up to continuous highway operation or continuous repeated acceleration at every stoplight. The starter motor looks like 15shp. If I'm close with the losses, you will need to spend 10x as much time recharging with the 5hp wide open, as you do accelerating to be "continuous"?

Looking at that it looks like the worst case scenario where nothing is operating at anywhere near an ideal level.

My fathers Miles ZX40 approches 90% eff between the motor and controller at wot. This motor is a bit more efficient than a standard EV motor (85% normally) (sealed and laminated, no wires) and the controller is actually a very poor eff unit but not at wot.

A common DC genset, especially a pure DC unit can be 95% EFF at certain load levels, averaged is about 85% as compared to the eff units you are using which is more closely tied to a Alternator or AC setup.
http://www.windstreampower.com/documents/EFFICIENCY.doc

The auto batteries should hopefully be out of the equation most of the time, since the genset will primarily run and provide just enough current for the vehicle to move. The exceptions are during decel, coasting and stops.

Personally a V-belt should be avoided which may not be possible, ideally the motor should turn the genset at speed 1:1

The driveline losses are likely true due to the fact you need to account for all efficiencies over a large range from 0 RPM to WOT. But this is also true of a prius or normal car since the ideal eff. for the setup is never really realized in any circumstance.

So basically if he takes the time to find the right components and the right loads to operate them at and keep them held to those standards (management) he should be able to due quite a bit better than your diagram would expect.

There are still a lot of losses but in the real world they usually aren't worst case.

Quote:
BTW, why is this in fossil fuel free?
No idea, I guess a diesel genset could be run off WVO but not really sure otherwise how this would fit in besides the EV eliment.