View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #97 (permalink)
cleanspeed1
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Definately keep us posted, my guess is most serial conversions done end up being a small testbed.

If your just tooting around town and can keep weight under 2k I would opt for a 48v DC military generator setup (as opposed to all the complex BS with AC->DC), attach it to a small yanmar or some other reliable efficient diesel.

Both my little EV's the 2400lb miles and the 1300lb C-car go past 30mph with 48v, so it should be usable if you can keep weight down, just don't expect to be pulled through your seat.

If you can find a post WWII aircraft starter generator source I can't say I've ever found one myself though many old schoolers talk about them, they work well also.

good source of diesel gennys is govliquidation.com And remember the diesel engine and the genset are usually sold separately.

Good Luck

My problem is similiar to Nerys' in that I need a larger vehicle for my family, yet most of my driving does not require monster power, and it has to be done on a budget. The Mother Earth set up looks promising, and 25.00 is not going to put me out so that I can study. We have enough resources around here that can get the combination sorted so it's just a matter of doing it.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like