View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
I tried testing nitrogen tire claims back in 2007 since I have access to nitrogen for filling paint ball tanks. A quick trip to ebay and northern tool and a week later I had all the parts assembled to turn a paint ball tank into a fairly dangerous tire filler.
After a month of adding T&P tire data to fuel economy followed by another 5 weeks of nitrogen tire data.
The claims:
Improves fuel economy
Increases tire life
Less loss of tire pressure helps prevent uneven tire wear
Reduces wheel corrosion
Tires run cooler adding tire life

My results:
"Improves fuel economy" No difference what so ever.
"Increases tire life" no way to duplicate in aloted time. But I do nitrogen fill my trailer tires and keep them covered to try and ward off dry rot.
"Less loss of tire pressure helps prevent uneven tire wear" Tire pressure varration was the same as with air. Tire leak down with the same as with air as far as I could tell in a standard 32psi tire.
"Reduces wheel corrosion" The wheels on my car were 22 years old at the time and there was no corrosion on the inside. Air works fine.
"Tires run cooler adding tire life" Seemed to run just as hot as air as tested with my inferred temperature scanner.

When I return to newmexico I may try filling tires with Helium.
Not expecting a MPG improvemnent but Helium transfers heat at something like 6 time the rate of air or nitrogen. It might help them run cooler.