View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
emulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
I aim for a constant 80% LOD through the whole pulse. That means I have to be adding throttle slowly as speed and rpm increase. It's possible that other cars do better with other lod values. A friend with an '03 Elantra reports his best at 70 LOD. I usually quote 75 for general purposes. With (basically) the same car I think we can get more specific.

I haven't found the throttle to be terribly sticky. It's certainly less tricky than many new cars with drive-by-wire throttle. With those it's more of a "think about moving your foot" proposition.
Just wanted to say that I began emulating your target of 80% load, sustained through the pulse. I can't say for sure if it is better but I think you are correct. Also wanted to add that if you follow my entries in my trip log labeled "Local freeway routes" you will see me testing the "GLEN" technique in a loose ABA style--"GLEN" being pulse and glide with the engine on in neutral. I use that technique on the freeway, and I think I could get over 60mpg @ 60mph on FLAT freeway stretches using it. In this technique I have also adopted your 80% load target. Cheers, james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.