View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
First a disclaimer: There are experts here who know exactly how things work (I only have observations to contribute at this point).

I noticed the same with mine (different system, but similar physical properties). The IMA System was called-upon less frequently, more engine RPM was required through the CVT, and I heard the pack's rear cooling fan for the first time. It had been parked outdoors on a 100+ degree day and the vehicle just labored the entire 45-minute, 50/50 city/highway route (and continued to do so every afternoon during the hottest days, which have been many).

A big hit in FE was noted and the battery depleted faster on a well-tested route, with same traffic conditions / driving style, similar wind, with the variable of being hotter and more humid. I think the temperature may effect the way the pack can handle rapid charging through regen braking (which equals heat) and likely feels like fading, requiring more pedal/hydraulics.

The cooling fan took me by surprise -- it was based on whether I had the HVAC system on, so it may use part of the A/C or blower(???). I noticed it while backing in the garage and powered-down the A/C as usual to get ready for next startup (just being curious, I switched the air back on and the pack cooler was noticeably loud -- earlier, I didn't hear it over music, traffic, etc). I make it a habit to keep the vent completely uncovered by the seat belt and direct some cool air back there.

Lately, I have parked the Insight, and have used the Integra when I don't need the child seat. I have a nagging concern that the batt pack wears faster in these conditions. Again, just a conjecture...

RH77

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 07-22-2011 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: Grammer and Typos as Usual
The Following User Says Thank You to RH77 For This Useful Post:
Sovereign (07-22-2011)