View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
EdKiefer, t_vago, thanks for your input. It will be useful. I have seen some cautions about balancing and such on Honda Tech, but those guys too often talk in comic book style Vin Diesel quips without explaining anything. Maybe it is worth saying that until now my interest has been simply in accessory pulleys, not the crank pulley, because of the concerns and greater complexity. But I read something that might change my mind: it seems the stock Honda crank pulley might weigh a little over 4lbs, while some UD crank pulleys, such as the AEM Tru Power weigh as little as 3/4 of a pound. Question I had after reading that was whether rotational mass on the crank pulley is more significant for FE than rotational mass generally. I doubt it, but I wonder what you guys might say.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.