View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
ohmycivic
Learning the ropes

Project Documentation

Thanks again johnpr, but I found them. They're model # 251-0012

I've decided to start documenting here to get some practice since, hopefully, this won't be the last you guys hear from me I do have a shaft driven '81 Yamaha Virago I'd like to electrify...

Anyway, some basic info about the civic:

Current MPG: 15

Current Weight: 2000 lbs (rounding up)

Current Cd: unknown, assumed stock

Current Fuel capacity: 16gal fuel cel -- unknown if original tank or fuel pump etc. is still attached. Estimated maximum vehicle range is 240 miles.

Current status: Purchased and planned. Pricing parts I intend to sell which should cover the cost of the car itself, need to find out which parts are completely useless if I have stock replacements.

Next Steps: Find someone who can help me work on this beast as I know next to nothing about cars. Take stock of the extra parts I have. Find markets in which to sell aftermarket parts I'll be removing.

Vision (at this point in time): Get the car to daily driver condition and achieve at least 30 MPG

Other considerations: I only require a top speed of 65mph and a range of about 200 miles max (usually much less than 100). As such, I personally think that I have a good candidate for going totally electric but lack even the basic concepts of such an undertaking. I'll put on between 20 and 40 thousand miles in a year, with about 3/4 of that city driving at speeds averaging approx. 30 MPH.