Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Learning the ropes

I'm confused here. A bunch of people are telling me that this isn't a D16A6 because it's a dual-point motor. Not only do I not know what this means, but since the engine was pulled from a CRX SI what else could it be?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

pontiac trans am - '00 pontiac firebird trans am

jeep 1 - '02 jeep wrangler
90 day: 16.76 mpg (US)

jeep 2 - '07 jeep wrangler x
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Toyota - '09 Toyota Corolla lx
ok here is what i found on a different site about identifying a Honda d16a6:

"since its an old motor, probably covered in grease and grime, its where every other Honda 4cy is, to the left where the trans and block meet, below the headers. like a 1 X 1 square."

i hope that helps you identify your engine
Old 05-12-2008, 12:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

oh in case you didnt catch what it is (you probably did though) "it" refers to the engine code
Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Learning the ropes

Well, it IS a d16a6 according to the identifier (thanks johnpr). But what's this "dual point" thing everyone's bashing it for? Picture of engine bay attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	715  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Learning the ropes

Okay, as far as all this:

Quote:
Holly fuel regulator, Hiper tech fuel pump, 16 gal fuel cel, fuel gage,
it was said this is overkill by AndrewJ. How is it, and what can I keep/get rid of without saccing FE? Is it all just "extra stuff"?

Also, anyone know a good place to sell this equipment besides ebay? I'd rather not give a portion of the proceeds to a company I've had problems with in the past. Seems like donating an equivalent amount to this forum for bandwidth/server fees would be a much better use of funds.

Last edited by ohmycivic; 05-12-2008 at 10:59 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

i'm happy that helped, anyhow, i have no idea about the dual point thing. i dont know tons of stuff about cams but i think yo uhave the important information i just never learnt what it all means. im sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in though
Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

i just found this on crane cams website, http://www.cranecams.com/?show=article&id=5
i hope this helps
Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Learning the ropes

Project Documentation

Thanks again johnpr, but I found them. They're model # 251-0012

I've decided to start documenting here to get some practice since, hopefully, this won't be the last you guys hear from me I do have a shaft driven '81 Yamaha Virago I'd like to electrify...

Anyway, some basic info about the civic:

Current MPG: 15

Current Weight: 2000 lbs (rounding up)

Current Cd: unknown, assumed stock

Current Fuel capacity: 16gal fuel cel -- unknown if original tank or fuel pump etc. is still attached. Estimated maximum vehicle range is 240 miles.

Current status: Purchased and planned. Pricing parts I intend to sell which should cover the cost of the car itself, need to find out which parts are completely useless if I have stock replacements.

Next Steps: Find someone who can help me work on this beast as I know next to nothing about cars. Take stock of the extra parts I have. Find markets in which to sell aftermarket parts I'll be removing.

Vision (at this point in time): Get the car to daily driver condition and achieve at least 30 MPG

Other considerations: I only require a top speed of 65mph and a range of about 200 miles max (usually much less than 100). As such, I personally think that I have a good candidate for going totally electric but lack even the basic concepts of such an undertaking. I'll put on between 20 and 40 thousand miles in a year, with about 3/4 of that city driving at speeds averaging approx. 30 MPH.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whoop's Wheels - '89 Honda Civic Wagovan
90 day: 39.09 mpg (US)
Good golly, I didn't think anyone could make a Honda drink that much gasoline.

All of the advice you've gotten is rock solid. However, here is what your dealing with, from my understanding.

Although you have a D15B6, which came from a Si, so you have been told, the DPFI, is a dual point fuel injection system. The black cover, behind the engine on what looks similar to a carburetor, but is not, is the issue people are giving you flak about.

The Si used a MPFI, which is short for Multi Point Fuel Injection. This essentially meant it had one injector on each intake runner. MPFI was used on the engine's geared for power and the one's geared for super economy. DPFI was used on engine's geared for run of the mill, plugging down the road.

In parallel with DPFI, it used one version of a ecu, or electronic control unit (computer) to control the fuel intake and engine electrical timing. The MPFI uses a different version and then it is refined based upon which engine.

If your engine came from an Si, then their is a fairly high liklihood that they used the transmission from the Si. The Si transmission was geared shorter, for quick start, high torque. The DX, which is probably the flavor of car you have, was middle of the road. The HF was geared very tall, but was matched to a specially profiled engine/camshaft/intake/exhaust system.

Whomever you purchased the car from clearly spent a ton of $ on all sorts of bells, whistles and flashy thingies because someone told him that was what all of the big boys were using. They didn't really know zipidy spitola however, since probably the most basic thing they should have changed was the DPFI, to MPFI. Without making that switch, they were just spending money on flash, with probably a zero return on performance.

What has been suggested is that you replace the engine and transmission with something which is going to get you mileage, instead of flash. Since your engine has lots of flash, you could conceivably get more money by selling the flash, than trying to unmodify whatever someone else did, previously.

Best of luck. I have to say I have never heard of someone having a car decked out with so much flash and DPFI. That is just mind bogglingly a waste, wow.

ps I generally drive a 89 Honda Wagon, which is for all practical purposes a DX. I can get 35-37 mpg, driving reasonably. I generally can get 320 miles or so, before my stomach starts to twitch about running out of gas. The tank physically will hold 11.5 but registers empty at about 9.5-10.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Recycling Nazi

Blue Bullet - '06 Honda Civic Sedan LX
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)
Thumbs up

ohmy, I'm another that thinks you should sell this to Honda enthusiasts (ricers) as is and get a proper (used) engine already tuned for efficiency.

Try this forum for the sale:

http://www.honda-tech.com/

Of course, if you relish a challenge, feel free to swap parts from now until the Second Coming ... but I think the prudent move is to swap the entire engine/transaxle in one go.

Hondas are well designed to work easily and efficiently right from the factory. Second guessing their component choices is not a game for amateurs and DIYers (like myself).

Best of luck, regardless ...