View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHaley View Post
All I can say is for a 2004 Ford Tarus SES to get 33 mpg on the highway is at least at the very high end of the spectrum. Maybe not for you?
Meh, my friend had a 97 Taurus that easily got 30 mpg. While I've never owned one, I've heard a lot of good about them and their mpg figures.

I've gotten 30 mpg from a 98 Maxima during one good run, which is definitely not an efficiency vehicle. And burning that extra bit of fuel concerns me, as the fuel ratio is designed to use some of the fuel to cool the combustion chamber. Otherwise, the engine would burn up. And if more of the fuel was consumed, more of the oxygen would be depleted, causing a low O2 reading in the exhaust, so the ECU would increase the amount of fuel to bring the mix back to stoich, so unless you fiddle with the engine controls, new spark plugs won't change a thing, unless the plugs you had needed replacement anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.