Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHaley View Post
All I can say is for a 2004 Ford Tarus SES to get 33 mpg on the highway is at least at the very high end of the spectrum. Maybe not for you?

Besides, the fools in the current congress won't do anything that is not personally beneficial to them getting re-elected.
We had Clinton, he left us with a balanced budget and a surplus and a blue dress with some smudges on it; then we had a moron and our debt sky rocketed while invading and occupying two country's trying to be the police force of the world.
(Don't get all excited here, I believe in payback, but, I believe in the kind we dished out during a "declared war", WW11. Descimate the enemy and go home.) And now we have an administration that found out walking in lock step is safer than keeping campaign promises.

Oh, wait, that's what they all do!

I'll report what I get in mpg on my trip back to Dallas and back to Red River.

I'm a conservative driver, just under sixty, cruise except on hill climbs and then I use the accelerator pedal. Being retired gives me more of an option to leave early, take my time, save my gas money and get there when I feel like it. But after 7 years of retirement and just turning 60, I'm getting bored. Can't hunt-fish-golf but so much and then you actually look for a problem to solve. My bad I guess.

Doc
+1 with a fishing boat.

I like you already, Doc.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks and glad to be here:

Glad to be a small part of the group.
Sometimes I just ***** cause I'm tired of being F'd with by the politicians, top 10% of billionaires, corporate America, oil companies and my dog. She's deaf and getting her to come back inside or even get her attention is as hard as it was to get my wife (now my ex for 20 years) in the mood!; or maybe I'm just getting old. Don't know which.
I'm glad I'm not a transport driver. Man they must spend more money in gas each year than it cost to put one of my kids through a year of college.

Do any of us really think this will ever return to normal, by that I mean $1.50 to $2.00 per gallon of gas? Hell I remember gas wars where I could buy gas for 27 cents per gallon in Irving, Texas. What happened?

Then again I am old. Hope I live long enough to see a revolution in this country and have it taken back. We got a thousand times more guns than the military, we are sneaky, tricky, and I'm not certain the armed forces would fire on us? What do you think? I think we'd both just shoot and intentionally miss each other.

Well back to painting/staining the cabin.

Again, glad to be a small part of this discussion. Sorry to get off target but I'm still figuring out what the target is.

Doc
Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

You haven't known the thrill of spending big bucks until you look at your rig and know it'll take over $1000.00 to fill it up. My accountant a few years ago asked, " did you actually spend $40000.00 in fuel last year?"

Oh yes I did.

That truck in my avatar held 350 gallons worth of fuel.

Powered by a Cat 3406B, 15 speeds and 3.90 gears.

You could say she was a little guzzly.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Little guzzly?
Heck I'd be in 7th heaven to earn $40k retired! And you spend it on gas.
How sad for us, regular Joes and Joetts.

Doc
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
All I can say is for a 2004 Ford Tarus SES to get 33 mpg on the highway is at least at the very high end of the spectrum. Maybe not for you?
Meh, my friend had a 97 Taurus that easily got 30 mpg. While I've never owned one, I've heard a lot of good about them and their mpg figures.

I've gotten 30 mpg from a 98 Maxima during one good run, which is definitely not an efficiency vehicle. And burning that extra bit of fuel concerns me, as the fuel ratio is designed to use some of the fuel to cool the combustion chamber. Otherwise, the engine would burn up. And if more of the fuel was consumed, more of the oxygen would be depleted, causing a low O2 reading in the exhaust, so the ECU would increase the amount of fuel to bring the mix back to stoich, so unless you fiddle with the engine controls, new spark plugs won't change a thing, unless the plugs you had needed replacement anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You may be right

Well I was shocked to see 33 mpg from a 2004 but loved it. Drove from Red River to Wichita Falls, Texas with gas to spare. Of Course gas was cheaper then too. Where did all the good times go when I had a 56 Chevy Nomad with a 265 cuin V8 and a 2 speed tranny? Cost me 10 bucks to fill up?!

I'm hoping the master control computer on board is set up to read exhaust gasses and modulate the length of time an injector is open, thereby controlling the gas allowed into the cylinder.
Does the same thing at high altitudes. Thinner air, less oxygen, the car gets less gas, lower altitudes, more oxygen gets more gas. Or so I am to think.
I'm hopeful the ox sensors will control the fuel management portion of the system with the Platinum component working correctly.

I'll know soon, got a 1500 round trip to and from Dallas. Know my mileage real well over the past 10 trips so by the time I get to Dallas I should see a difference, or so I hope, and by the time I get back to Red River there should be some consistence to those results. If it's a bust, I have 4 months to return it.

Give ya details later.

Doc
Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

Quote:
Little guzzly?
Heck I'd be in 7th heaven to earn $40k retired! And you spend it on gas.
How sad for us, regular Joes and Joetts.

Doc
....actually, I bet he spent it on diesel. Gas wouldn't do his Cat any favors.

and 9 mpg is amazing fuel economy for a beast of that size.

Quote:
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Well I was shocked to see 33 mpg from a 2004 but loved it. Drove from Red River to Wichita Falls, Texas with gas to spare. Of Course gas was cheaper then too. Where did all the good times go when I had a 56 Chevy Nomad with a 265 cuin V8 and a 2 speed tranny? Cost me 10 bucks to fill up?!

I'm hoping the master control computer on board is set up to read exhaust gasses and modulate the length of time an injector is open, thereby controlling the gas allowed into the cylinder.
Does the same thing at high altitudes. Thinner air, less oxygen, the car gets less gas, lower altitudes, more oxygen gets more gas. Or so I am to think.
I'm hopeful the ox sensors will control the fuel management portion of the system with the Platinum component working correctly.

I'll know soon, got a 1500 round trip to and from Dallas. Know my mileage real well over the past 10 trips so by the time I get to Dallas I should see a difference, or so I hope, and by the time I get back to Red River there should be some consistence to those results. If it's a bust, I have 4 months to return it.

Give ya details later.

Doc
If you are right about the O2 sensor, then this is something interesting. Look at these reports about recent EPA testing: Platinum 22 Seems like an advert site, but it is interesting. EDIT: and this one: http://www.robinsonenginehead.net/?p=9
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
....actually, I bet he spent it on diesel. Gas wouldn't do his Cat any favors.

and 9 mpg is amazing fuel economy for a beast of that size.
No, my brother, the truck in the avatar was only good for 4.8 to 5.2 mpg, hence the $40k on diesel; it never ran as good as I know it could. Should've done 6-7 mpg loaded.

My expediter in the sig gets 9 mpg. Electronic diesel, tall gears and 32000 GVWR. Just a big Class 8 straight truck.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

LOl ok, my dad (a born ecomodder) bragged about averaging 6 mpg, so 9 was rather high.

And to Cali98, this tidbit interests me...

Quote:
The Platinum 22 injects a platinum vapor into the combustion chambers of the engine by inserting a T connector into a vacuum line.....
I had a vacuum leak in my maxima once, and although it increased the economy, it made the car difficult to drive. I suspect simply allowing a vacuum leak would achieve similar results. I am dubious about injecting platinum "vapor" anywhere....wouldn't the platinum be depleted eventually? Platinum is used in catalytc convertors, but a minimum amount of heat is required for the reaction to occur.

Quote:
Reply  Post New Thread