View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #389 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
It was just in the news recently that a pharmacist- who blew away a robber- was given a really stiff sentence... life? I'm in favor of people deterring intruders by whatever means necessary, but this guy got a huge sentence for continuing to blow the guy full of holes after he was down.
As John taught me, one or two holes in the back I can explain, as he was turning away (to run or shield himself as a reflex), but more than that and you got some 'splainin' to do. That's why he teaches firing four shots, move and re-evaluate, fire four more if necessary, move again, but it's the untrained fear response that gets you into trouble. You can't just train that one round will do the job and you can't just keep firing without re-evaluating. You have to train for the real world, where bad guys don't just fall down because you put one round in them. Many folks that are fatally wounded can still remain active for minutes after they're shot. The first guy John shot was dead center in his chest with a .45acp. His reaction was to look down, see blood, turn and run away. He probably died within a minute or two, but had he wanted to, he could have easily returned fire.