View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
cleanspeed1
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I have to admit I'm concerned about your expectations here CS1, ryland is discussing the mpg figures where the battery is making a contribution to those miles as well as the generator. I appreciate you want to test it out, but you are partially motivated by the claims being made it seems, and we are not entirely sure they make sense to start with.

I think it is ok to have a hypothesis, an understanding of as many variables as possible, before doing an experiment. I'm concerned at the level of wishful thinking and there are some red flags as well, such as the suggestion of using a 2 stroke, which historically have worse efficiency than 4 strokes.

Please don't continue unless you can afford to. I know others are rooting you on, but there will be genuine costs in time and money, and if you are expecting 90mpg in a van on a gasoline 2 stroke without battery contributions, then, well, don't. I cannot read your mind or your plans, just want to know that you understand the potential realities and the costs beforehand.
Yer just egging me on dcb, and well, I think you already figured out that conventions don't bother me. Except if the food is bad. Then you have to complain.

I am not looking to get 90 mpg in a van. I am going build this thing because there is something that needs to be investigated, and further, nothing gets done in this life if all you do is stop because the chatter is saying "I don't think it will work based on blah, blah, blah". You sit down and figure it out, you get with people who want to figure it out and figure it out. The inventor of this system saw a problem and dealt with it in his own way, and it worked for him.

I think somewhere along the way, dcb, you have forgotten what other members have done here. The Open Revolt controller built by a math teacher, the AeroCivic built by a guy with some cheap materials that cut the Cd in half, the ForkenSwift, and I can go on. These folks inspire me. I want in on the fun, and I am going to do it.

Tell you what, go buy the plans and solve the "problems" that you see with the design, whether perceived or actual. Stop the criticism and pull out the wrenches. Anyone can get on a keyboard, with no skin in the game and go on and on about the lack of viability of something even though they never built the thing themselves, to prove out whether it works or not.

Since you obviously have a problem with the series hybrid, and have written extensively about it, what would you do differently? What kinds of things can be made or done to reduce the losses that you have graphed out?

More importantly, what hard data do you have that can support your argument? I'm not talking anecdotal, I'm talking actual. Forget the theoretical, have you built something like this that you can say " I put measuring devices to it and this is what happened?"

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like