View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
k-series
EcoModding Lurker

Toaster Of Doom - '06 Honda Element EX-P
90 day: 20.96 mpg (US)

92 Integra DD - '92 Acura Integra RS
90 day: 27.84 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoops View Post
Welcome. I will probably display my ignorance, but is your car a two wheel drive, four wheel drive, or full time AWD? Is it automatic or is it manual? Is it possible to switch to a transmisson/differential with a lower final ratio?

Generally, if it is an Automatic, it will cost you something in mileage. If it is anything more than two wheel drive, it will generally cost you about a 20% penalty.

Both of these options will give you a hit. If you have 4 wheel, can you convert to 2 wheel and how close to 2 wheel is it. For example you might be able to take out an intermediate shaft, but you might still have a rear differential which is spinning and taking up energy. How much? How much is it worth to change? Is it worth it?

Given what you have is what you have, for now, you could do a scangauge, higher tire pressure, grill block? Beyond those, the mileage differentials become esoteric, since a 2% increase on 18 mpg is just not a big enough number to be even really measurable.

Best of success.
It's a FWD AT with not a lot of options out there. I can mess with gear sets from other K motors, but I'm not interested in a huge loss.

My approach to this will be a combination of modifications that will allow better mpg as well as not take away from the looks too much.

So here's what I'm hoping will work for this specific car.

Wheel well covers
Lowering springs
Rear spoiler
Grill blockers
Belly pan(s)
K&N Filter with slightly modified air box
Weight reduction (within reason)

Steelies with disc covers and over inflated tires
OR
Light weight wheels to reduce weight, but not necessarily help with aerodynamics

The only gripe I have with a lot of the work that's being done is the fit and finish. I'm a super perfectionist a little surprised that more work hasn't gone into making the cars look a little nicer. Sure, they're beaters that get great mpg, but a little TLC goes a long way. That's why the wheel well covers I fab will be clean and painted to match with anodized black fittings. A basic hinge with dzus fittings should do it nicely.

We'll see just what I can come up with.

Steve