View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Local classic car shows

Local classic car shows can be a great place to show off a fuel economy project car. Our area has at least two weekly repeating shows during the summer, plus others that are once a year events. The weekly ones especially are simple events with no admission fee, little or no rules, etc. Just a way to get the public to come to the grounds and buy some sodas etc. while they're there.

I've attended one of the events twice now, and both times had a bunch of people that asked me about the car. Each time, I attracted someone with track experience who gave me well intentioned advice on how to improve the mpg. 1/4 mile track concepts don't necessarily translate to mpg but it's interesting to see people's minds at work.

Some props help. I brought along an 11x17 print of my avatar photo (at left) from the Watkins Glen Green Grand Prix, taped to the hood. A mirror about 11x14 so you can see the belly pan. You get the idea. A big sign "I STIFF OPEC every mile!!" would work for most any of us here.

OK, my car's not a classic, and most of the cars on this board aren't either. No matter. I called the organizer in advance, told them my car isn't a classic but I think it's interesting, and that was good enough for him. He said I certainly could be there. I did have to stick up for myself when I showed up the first time, the "traffic director" waved me over towards regular parking. I told him it was a fuel economy project car and he said basically, "OK, pull over in there".

Last edited by brucepick; 08-01-2011 at 08:53 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
cfg83 (08-01-2011), user removed (05-22-2014)