View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Classic car shows in Southern California

I totally agree. Thanks for posting this thought. There are a couple such shows I know of here that I have wondered about going to with my car. Last week, I asked the hosts of one if I could bring my car when I noticed in a photo that among the Chargers, Vettes, and other muscle cars was a 2006 Prius! I'm planning to go to that one on Sunday Aug 14th. If anyone in Southern Cali wants to come with me... PM me and we'll coordinate. Either way, I'll try to post photos to this thread. Could be funny. It's just a friendly little show in an independent coffee shop lot. Should be fun. I love old GM muscle-cars too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Local classic car shows can be a great place to show off a fuel economy project car. Our area has at least two weekly repeating shows during the summer, plus others that are once a year events. The weekly ones especially are simple events with no admission fee, little or no rules, etc. Just a way to get the public to come to the grounds and buy some sodas etc. while they're there.

I've attended one of the events twice now, and both times had a bunch of people that asked me about the car. Each time, I attracted someone with track experience who gave me well intentioned advice on how to improve the mpg. 1/4 mile track concepts don't necessarily translate to mpg but it's interesting to see people's minds at work.

Some props help. I brought along an 11x17 print of my avatar photo (at left) from the Watkins Glen Green Grand Prix, taped to the hood. A mirror about 11x14 so you can see the belly pan. You get the idea. A big sign "I STIFF OPEC every mile!!" would work for most any of us here.

OK, my car's not a classic, and most of the cars on this board aren't either. No matter. I called the organizer in advance, told them my car isn't a classic but I think it's interesting, and that was good enough for him. He said I certainly could be there. I did have to stick up for myself when I showed up the first time, the "traffic director" waved me over towards regular parking. I told him it was a fuel economy project car and he said basically, "OK, pull over in there".
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.