View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
k-series
EcoModding Lurker

Toaster Of Doom - '06 Honda Element EX-P
90 day: 20.96 mpg (US)

92 Integra DD - '92 Acura Integra RS
90 day: 27.84 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
What did you have in mind there? A roofline extension/partial Kammback would aid aero (see AndrewJ's 5th gen Civic), but I'm not aware of anything I'd call a spoiler that'll help a 2 box vehicle. (Maybe this is just a terminology issue.)

It's an extension, not a spoiler, but that's what Honda calls it. I'm going to see into making it longer with more sweep on the sides and braces into the back glass. (Racing style-but not that crazy)

Quote:
I know some people can't bear the thought, but why not nice, light alloys with discs over top? That's how you know you're hardcore
Because it would be really difficult to find a good way to mount them unlike steelies which are made to take on a hub cap.

Quote:
That said, I think that nicely done mods will capture more positive attention from people sitting on the fences. I'm looking forward to what you do.
And this is my goal with the project/article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
I would caution against the K&N filter though.
If you look it up, you will find that it does not help with MPG as they claim it will, and in order to get the air flow they actually do not filter as well as a plain paper filter.
I'll disagree. What little debris that makes it past the filter, will be eaten by the combustion process and not cause any issues with the motor. I've actually done extensive research on this subject and have spoken with various reps for the various filter companies when I get a chance (like at SEMA and the like).

The K&N, when properly oiled and maintained will allow much more air flow with no risk to the motor. Sure, if I take a detour into a sand dune...there's a chance, but for the most part, it will work great and give the additional flow promised.

Steve