View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
One-FIFTH the water!

Hey everyone,

At my house, instead of sewer or septic tank, we have a "holding tank", which is just a big tank in the ground. When it's full, I have to call the pumper truck, and pay them to suck out the waste-water and take it to the treatment plant.

I just got a notice in with my electric bill, that for people getting their water through the city (same utility company, but I am JUST OUTSIDE the city, thus, no sewer...) can expect an increase in the cost of their water bill.

As a percent, it's sort of a steep increase, but in actual dollars, it's not that much.

What I found interesting is what they used for an example of the cost increase. In the letter, it says "for an average residential customer.... who uses 5,000 gallons of water monthly..."

My holding tank measures 2,000 gallons. We get it emptied every two months. That means the average residential customer uses 10,000 gallons (5K x 2 months) for every 2,000 that I use!

WOW! The average customer in my area uses FIVE TIMES as much water as I do!

Now, of course, that's an average. Some people use more, some people use less. We have 3 persons in my household, some houses will have 6, some will have 1.

But think about it. What if we all used 80% less water? What if we all used 80% less electricity? 4 out of 5 power plants wouldn't be needed!

What if we used 80% less gasoline?

Anyways, I'm pretty happy that by controlling my water use, I can save considerably on my waste-water bill.

Of course not everyone flushes their toilet with laundry water!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Ryland (08-05-2011)