View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #161 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aporigine View Post
I guess we'll always sit on opposite sides of that table. I worry that I have offended a matter on which your feelings are strong. For that I apologize, and I will desist. But not all at once (giggle!)
No apologies needed. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, and unlike some others I could mention, you support yours with fact.

Quote:
...the current Corvette, not enough handling? Its Nurburgring/Nordschleife times, for me the #1 ordeal-of-righteousness for any sports (or more accurately: sporting) car, are simply stellar!
I admit you catch me without data there. I tend not to get interested in a car until it's about 10 years old, as I'm pretty allergic to car payments &c. (Was thinking of picking up a '90s Miata just for fun & backup to the Insight, but can't figure out how to carry two dogs in it - the second being the result of one of those "Can you keep him just for a week or two? Otherwise he'll have to (sniff, sniff) go to the pound..." things. That was in April.)

Quote:
In the USA, the roadster market seems effectively owned by the Miata. It doesn't leave enough market in the USA for our domestic makers...
But notice that the domestic makers do and have done nothing to create such a market, and much to discourage it. Suppose small two-seaters had gotten the same kind of advertising that went into SUVs & oversized pickups? There wasn't much of a market for those prior to the mid-80s, and what there was was pretty well supplied by Jeep & International. Toyota even marketed a "Sport Truck" back in the '70s, and Subaru had its Brat...