View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
...At that point Mandy says "I win" and walks away. I love that because the moment one of the debaters is reduced to name calling, he or she has "lost" the debate.
You are of course correct, I suppose another issue is the names being used. To some people they are badges and to some maybe insults. Another issue is of course when does something become political. e.g. I disagree with some people on the environment - and no I don't want a debate here. Is that political ? Unfortunately (for me at least) some people believe it is and some people don't - even that is possibly an argument.

For me I just hate (potentially) falling out with people who post smart stuff just because we disagree about something else - and yes, I am an offender too. TBH though I have found myself disagreeing here with someone on one thread and at the same time exchanging useful stuff on another one at the same time as though they are completely seperate conversations - respect wins.

As I tapped earlier and I have tapped this before, my idea is to send these kinds of debates there. But the "rules" about that are difficult to define.

Hey, lets all be nice to each other, even if we don't agree. Does that sound like a plan ? And if two or more members start a ping-pong battle we send them here, like I did on the Annoyances thread. We see how it goes (unofficial policy I hasten to add). Maybe we also label the thread with "ignore if you like".

I leave it to the community to decide.