View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cowboy_Dan
EcoModding Lurker

Blue By You - '96 Ford F250 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMY02CREW View Post
Thanks for posting up this project along with all the pics!!!

I definately like the way you have it hinged in the middle for easy access to either end of bed if necessary.

It didn't look like it was supported in the middle of the frame sections. I think that would be my only concern.

So I wonder how much play/vertical movement you will get with the "draper canvas" once you get to speed??? I would think too much movement with the cover material would possibly lead to a tear or rip in the future.
The frame is 3/16" angle iron, so it's fairly sturdy. It may not support ME, but I have no doubt it will support any snow it will see.

I've been up to about 50-55 so far, just haven't had a chance to get on the interstate to see how it will do.
The belting is pretty sturdy stuff. In it's original application, the crop is laying on it to be carried to the center of the head where it gets fed into the combine on another belt. And some crops are surprisingly heavy, but the draper belting seems to hold up fine. There have even been people in traditionally non-corn growing areas use a draper head to harvest the corn as an experiment. And corn is HEAVY. For that matter, rice is too, but it's biggest problem is being so abrasive.

Here's a draper head:
At about 50 seconds you can see the side drapers running, where they would be bringing material into the center.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."