View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #75 (permalink)
CigaR007
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graydonengineering View Post
Looking great! I am thinking of doing something similar for my lower bumper. I was thinking of boxing off the slot to be pluged with plastic wrap all to make a sealed chamber and then injection expanding foam (such as Great Stuff) untill it is filled. Do you think this method would work? After that I would want to coat it and paint it. The resin coat looks like it is working well but labor intensive.
Expanding foam does wonders, but requires a fair amount of preparation in order to yield good results. Patience is key.

As per the pics, I used aluminum foil to seal and protect the surface. Plastic wrap should work too. The amount of surface preparation depends on whether or not you want the grille/bumper block to be permanently fixed/attached, or the flexibility of being able to remove it whenever you want. I chose the latter.

Albeit, I will admit that great stuff foam should be easier to deal with, since it is less messy and easily controllable. The 2-part polyurethane foam I used (PartA/PartB) requires mixing the two parts with a 1:1 ratio and you have a limited amount of time to pour the liquid before the foam starts expanding. I had a hard time in the beginning but easily managed to get the hang of it. Live and learn.

This whole fabrication of foam grille blocks has its learning curve, I will tell you that.

Last edited by CigaR007; 08-10-2011 at 12:55 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to CigaR007 For This Useful Post:
graydonengineering (08-10-2011)