Thread: Nitrogen tires
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #46 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
I know what you mean, when you look at the real numbers it's like 1.3 psi difference in a 30 psi tire after 1 year, why even bother to make green valve caps? I mean seriously, the nitrogen fill means I have to hold the air nozzle on the tire for 2 fewer seconds? I don't even know what I'd do with all that extra time anyway!.....But statistically, it is a 156% Difference between the 2 inflation methods.

Both are absolute facts, but the way the data is presented makes a huge difference. This is why I'm always Very, VERY, VEEERRRY skeptical of random "facts" that are thrown at me. People invariably slant the "Data" presentation to make it seem like a bigger issue than it is. The 156% number makes it seem like your tire is not only going to leak out all its air, but you'll have to fill it half as much again, and it'll leak all that too.

These statistics numbers are used on death rates all the time too, your 300% more likely to die from eating pizza as opposed to corn flakes (or whatever). Then the numbers are shown, 1 person in 100,000,000 will die from corn flakes, 3 in 100,000,000 will die from pizza.

If you're reading this, Always be Skeptical of numbers until you see the raw data, it will increase your chance of survival by 1,895% and your love life will be 693% better, except for the people who don't survive, their love lives would be 1,313,235% worse. Give er take.