View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #355 (permalink)
TheMarkofPolo
Fhqwhgads

Vibe o' the Ozarks - '07 Pontiac Vibe
90 day: 31.22 mpg (US)
Just filled up on my best tank to-date. 38.8 mpg in the automatic Vibe.

Even though it was hot (90-95), and I was driving at midday, I took my time going anywhere between 60-70 on the highway between STL and KC. With all of the rolling hills, cruise is a no-no, but there were plenty of excellent opportunities to make use of momentum.

I used the AC, but only sparingly. With my upper grill blocked, at speeds above 60-65 on particularly hot days I tend to see an increase of my coolant temp to near-accessory fan need. I don't WANT to run the accessory fan it gets too warm, but if I have to, might as well get some cool air out of it, eh? So I made sure recirc was on, temperature was set to medium cool (to allow just a little of the engine air to vent through), and cycled AC on and off throughout the trip.

Plus I saw a Lotus Europa on a freight truck and a stealth bomber flying around near KC.

"Price is what the person pays. Cost is what society pays, here, now, elsewhere and into the future." Natural Capitalism