View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphDaCivic View Post
I thought the Craig Vetter contest was to find the best fuel economy vehicle, not the most efficient driver.

Short of having a robot drive each vehicle, there needs to be some uniform driving guidelines. Like the old non-sense MPG records in Guinness book of world records, where they get astronomical values, but never exceed 15 MPH.
(SNIP)
Technically, I think the Craig Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge is won by the cycle that delivers the lowest cost per mile - gas, diesel, electric, whatever.

As we all know, the driver/rider make a huge difference in the FE equation. The best drivers/riders will maximize the vehicle's potential buy using whatever driving/riding style they feel delivers the best efficiency.

To take the rider out of the equation you could just run the vehicles on the dyno at the same speed,with the same amount of fuel, and see which runs longer - but that's not real world either.

Vetter does have rules that keep a cycle from running too slowly. If I'm not mistaken they have a control vehicle that runs at the back of the pack. If it passes you, you're out.

I just can't understand why he feels that P&G riding wouldn't be feasible in the real world. Many riders here have produced amazing MPG numbers with very basic cycles using P&G on the street.

Jay