View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
I'm a little confused, are you talking about making your own intake manifold?

The intake runners they are referring to start at the back side of the valve & are measured to a point where a pressure wave would bounce off, or when the pipe opens up into the plenum, not sure which. Both of which occur downstream of the throttle plate. All the stuff from the air filter to the throttle plate really does is quiet down the intake of air.

It is possible to use first or second harmonic waves in an intake. Sometimes you can hit two usable harmonics with the same runners, just at different RPM's. If you time an exhaust harmonic in between them you can get a pretty flat torque curve as well.

An extreme example of long runners is the chrysler cross ram intake manifold
I love this forum for exactly this kind of schooling. Can't express the gratitude. No, not my own intake manifold, just the pre filter-housing intake tube is all I mean. Would this mean in your opinion that the length and diameter of the pre-housing tube is not very significant, or just that this article is not relevant to my issue and that I have misunderstood it? (BTW, also seems like there is a mod possibility in your observation about the post throttle intake pipe.)
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.