View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowglider View Post
If your iS is in good condition (will not need costly repairs in the near future) then I`m for LPG all the way. Because you get to keep all the fun while driving a lot cheaper, not to mention that LPG is friendlier to the enviroment and also to the engine, you can prolong oil changes with it.

Getting another used car is always a lottery and diesels under £1000 are prone to rattle, leak, smoke, understeer and be a pain in the arse way more than a 318iS can ever be.

As from personal experience, years ago I went from an E34 to a 1.8Td Mondeo and although the Mondeo was 6 years younger, driving it was always a sob story compared to the joys of the BMW, not to even start mentioning the build quality difference and repair nightmares.
That’s very fair comment you make..I simply cant afford a new enough Ford/mazda/toyota to get the same feeling of quality.

Certainly the element of “ better the devil you know” makes keeping the iS a prudent option..wonder how much a 320d lump is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Given the premium for diesel in the UK, I suggest you look for something fairly light and extra-frugal like the VW / Seat / Skoda TDi - maybe even audi if you can get a decent one in that price range.
You're not going to like the SDi versions - frugal but agonizingly slow.
If you pick the right TDi, you can run on biodiesel.
I’d thought of that, but the PD/various engine codes can be a nightmare to work out..

the Sdi on the other hand in say, a Skoda Felicia Estate on coilovers.. could be a hoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Are the conversions that cheap in the UK ?
Here you'd be looking at 1500-2500 euro.
I’ve fired off some emails for a quote..

If I assume 35mpg on LPG (I know it drops mpg circa 10%), and a cost of £0.70 a litre, then 18000 miles costs £1636.56…So even at £1000 it pays back in a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
get a 1982 to 1985 Mercedes 300D with a five speed manual. Then import an American engine with the turbo. The turbo models got better mileage and had more power . Its weird they never sold them in Europe.
That’s an awesome suggestion! Except for 3 things:

1. I already have a very old daily driver (my 1988 320i) so get my fix of hammer based maintenance

2. The W123/124 tend to be pretty rotten over here now, especially in my sub £1000 price bracket

3. The burd wouldn’t drive it! The iS is currently her daily, so whatever replaces it must be liked by her.

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------