View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #297 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
My brother Nathan, who works for UPS suggested those omnidirectional rollers, and I was going to try and use them, but the rollers I am getting are ready to go:

(click on image for link)

I've ordered four of them, which should do the trick.

I will be making an alignment jig, once I figure out how to set up the USB CNC program. I am leaving 1.5" at each short edge and .375" on each long edge -- the friction rollers need 1.25" minimum to keep a "grip" on the sheet and there is a .25" tongue/groove on the long edges.

Jigsaw puzzle joint makes sense to me. The slowest part of this process is that I have to "sum" the two adjacent sections -- they are cut starting at the high point of the roof, and the ones I am working on are cut "looking" forward of this. I then cut the next section, and layout the inside profile -- and then I copy the entire second section over the first one. I then erase all the lines on the inside; keeping the outer-most lines only. This makes the stepped form will always be larger than the finished shape, and I will only have to *remove* the steps to get the actual form of the car.

This was the major lesson of making the quarter scale model -- I had lots of voids wherever the shape "grew" from the previous section. And on the full size one I am now doing, it is the *inside* surfaces that need to be taken into account!

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/