View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Patrick
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
How about designing, or evaluating the feasibility of, an electric vehicle for the Vetter Challenge?

Electric Challengers

Nobody expects electric bikes to go a hundred miles at real speeds - yet. Therefore, the winner of the Electric Class will be the vehicle that went the farthest without refueling. Fuel cost will be the dollars and cents actually used plus the same road tax the gas we pay to maintain our roads. (This tax is already figured in when we pay at the pumps) For the Vetter Challenges, we will use the $$ amount of tax actually paid by the Vetter Streamliner in the event. For example, if the Vetter Streamliner has paid $1.50 in Federal and State Excise tax, this amount will be added to your electric cost, too.

If you do not think this is fair, or want to suggest a more equitable rule, I'd love to hear from you.

Electric Challengers: It is your responsibility to come up with an accurate, indisputable dollar amount of fuel consumed for refilling your batteries - satisfactory to the Judge - within 24 hours of the start of the Challenge.

What about if I charge my batteries from my roof top collector, Craig?

I hope you do. Will you be able to recharge your batteries to full within 24 hours? This is the only way I can see that you can prove that you are driving on genuine "Roof-top energy." Which brings up an interesting observation:

Do you want to win the Challenge?

Harvest your energy from the sun and prove it. Isn't this is how we should be living, anyway?

Vetter Challenge rules