Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eco Dreamer

Versa - '08 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback
Masters Thesis Idea Needed

So I am finishing my masters degree in Sustainable Design, and need a topic for my Thesis project. My problem is that I am interested in way to many subject areas, and I can't seem to narrow down to a specific idea.

I am interested in vehicles and efficiency, energy generation, green materials, design, greening industrial processes, alternative fuels, energy conservation, etc etc. I'd imagine I have similar interests to many of you on here.

So my question is... Are there any burning questions that you want answered?Have you been working on a project, and ever wished there was more research on a certain topic, or if someone would figure out this, or if there were standards developed for that, or if there was a better materials for this use, or a more efficient way to do that, etc.

This is a long shot, but I figured I'd ask, and see if any of your ideas piqued my interest.

Thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
How about designing, or evaluating the feasibility of, an electric vehicle for the Vetter Challenge?

Electric Challengers

Nobody expects electric bikes to go a hundred miles at real speeds - yet. Therefore, the winner of the Electric Class will be the vehicle that went the farthest without refueling. Fuel cost will be the dollars and cents actually used plus the same road tax the gas we pay to maintain our roads. (This tax is already figured in when we pay at the pumps) For the Vetter Challenges, we will use the $$ amount of tax actually paid by the Vetter Streamliner in the event. For example, if the Vetter Streamliner has paid $1.50 in Federal and State Excise tax, this amount will be added to your electric cost, too.

If you do not think this is fair, or want to suggest a more equitable rule, I'd love to hear from you.

Electric Challengers: It is your responsibility to come up with an accurate, indisputable dollar amount of fuel consumed for refilling your batteries - satisfactory to the Judge - within 24 hours of the start of the Challenge.

What about if I charge my batteries from my roof top collector, Craig?

I hope you do. Will you be able to recharge your batteries to full within 24 hours? This is the only way I can see that you can prove that you are driving on genuine "Roof-top energy." Which brings up an interesting observation:

Do you want to win the Challenge?

Harvest your energy from the sun and prove it. Isn't this is how we should be living, anyway?

Vetter Challenge rules
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...since YOU are the one who has to do the work, it is logical that YOU should be the one who reaps the benefits of that work...so, what do YOU WANT to know MORE about? THAT should be YOUR subject.

...EDUCATION = Knowledge 'investment' in YOURSELF.

...and, if you're thorough enough, all your masters research and work should be good enough for at least ONE, maybe TWO, published "books" and numerous "learned-articles" on the subject!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eco Dreamer

I COMPLETELY agree, but the more ideas I hear the better. Even if something on here just reminds me of something else, or sparks an idea.
I certainly will not just be blindly picking someone else's idea and devoting a year of my life to researching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...since YOU are the one who has to do the work, it is logical that YOU should be the one who reaps the benefits of that work...so, what do YOU WANT to know MORE about? THAT should be YOUR subject.

...EDUCATION = Knowledge 'investment' in YOURSELF.

...and, if you're thorough enough, all your masters research and work should be good enough for at least ONE, maybe TWO, published "books" and numerous "learned-articles" on the subject!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Research how sustainable tech does no good if it results in ever higher levels of consumption i.e. more mpg leads to more miles driven; more efficient residential HVAC leads to houses 2x bigger; more x leads to more population, etc.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eco Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Research how sustainable tech does no good if it results in ever higher levels of consumption i.e. more mpg leads to more miles driven; more efficient residential HVAC leads to houses 2x bigger; more x leads to more population, etc.
Actually that is a pretty good topic. I have already done a research paper on how technology and sustainability are mutually exclusive. I enjoy arguing against the commonly accepted perspectives.

Also, I like the idea on the Vetter challenge, though not the electric vehicle aspect. I'd like to look into diesel hydraulic hybrids.
I couldn't find anything on the site about where/when the challenges are held though. Anyone know?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Why is there a huge bias towards the all electric highway, to the exclusion of other potentially more efficient methods of capacitive energy storage and release, even when considerable research and development is directed towards alternative liquid and gaseous state fuels.

Also why are the cost effectiveness of rational alternatives not considered when the cost of any alternative is the principle driving factor in its implementation.

regards
Mech
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
I would focus on conservation. Sustainable energy sources cannot be cost competitive when trying to replicate current power usage. However, typical home power usage can be reduced without any loss of convenience or quality of life. Lifestyle changes can further reduce power usage with some percieved quality of life reduction, however perception of quality of life is based on cultural conditioning. You might look at human behavior and choices in things like daily hot showers, running hot water while brushing teeth, doing dishes, etc. Leaving lights on 24 hours, the need for security lighting, Lighting entire house instead of the area one is in, leaving TVs on even when not watching. Washing and drying clothes after one use, selecting easy to wash clothes to reduce water and energy use, using a dryer instead of a clothesline, compare the cost of washing clothes to the purchase of clothes, disposable paper clothes (OK, weird, I know). Research the rise of the HVAC industry and how people have retreated to fully temperature controlled environments rather than outdoor ventilated environments, is there a potential to heat/cool only small spaces rather than the whole house? In winter, why do humanoids chill a box inside of another box which they heat? How many items stored in a refrigerator do not require refrigeration? What would the effect of an increase in the cost of energy be?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
^Many good points. Just as with discussions on population, bringing up energy conservation in most circles is not only taboo, one will be mercilessly attacked. The masses only want to concentrate and hear more MORE MORE!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Quasi-Modder

What I would like to see developed is a cruise control that just held a certain throttle setting without increasing or decreasing engine rpms.

Reply  Post New Thread