View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
skyl4rk
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
I would focus on conservation. Sustainable energy sources cannot be cost competitive when trying to replicate current power usage. However, typical home power usage can be reduced without any loss of convenience or quality of life. Lifestyle changes can further reduce power usage with some percieved quality of life reduction, however perception of quality of life is based on cultural conditioning. You might look at human behavior and choices in things like daily hot showers, running hot water while brushing teeth, doing dishes, etc. Leaving lights on 24 hours, the need for security lighting, Lighting entire house instead of the area one is in, leaving TVs on even when not watching. Washing and drying clothes after one use, selecting easy to wash clothes to reduce water and energy use, using a dryer instead of a clothesline, compare the cost of washing clothes to the purchase of clothes, disposable paper clothes (OK, weird, I know). Research the rise of the HVAC industry and how people have retreated to fully temperature controlled environments rather than outdoor ventilated environments, is there a potential to heat/cool only small spaces rather than the whole house? In winter, why do humanoids chill a box inside of another box which they heat? How many items stored in a refrigerator do not require refrigeration? What would the effect of an increase in the cost of energy be?