View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #204 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
While driving two days ago I noticed that my fuel consumption at idle is higher than normal
Is it colder outside now than before ?

Quote:
One thing that crossed my mind was increased internal friction, but my oil level is OK.
Anything on the engine could cause it to have a bit more friction or use more fuel - from pulleys with their bearings wearing, to leaking air intakes, to a stuck EGR valve, to malfunctioning injectors (you'd most likely see that in the oil level though).

The SG does show a higher load (LOD) across the board with higher oil level.
Mine is once again getting to the highest level I'm comfortable (though not happy) with.

Quote:
In fact, it's been two years since I changed it and I haven't had to add a single drop.
Oil degenerates over time when exposed to oxygen.
Even if the oil level is OK, that doesn't mean the oil is still as good as it was.
Conditions where the engine doesn't fully get up to temperature (say relatively short hops in cold winters) are particularly hard on the oil.

Quote:
Oh, and can I use a thinner oil than the 5W30 (Total Quartz Ineo) that PSA strongly recommends? I found a 0W30 (Total Quartz 9000 Energy), but I wonder if it will protect the fussy engine/turbo as well, especially with the higher temps I see with the winter grille block on? 0W30 is also about 40% more expensive
Volvo is or was using 0W30 in their 1.6 HDi engines, especially the Drive-versions.
Mine started out with 5W30, and was later changed to 0W30.
Then Volvo changed it back again, but I decided to stay with 0W30 as the engine runs noticeably smoother on 0W30 when cold. I like that because my car isn't garaged.
In summer I can't tell, but in winter I could tell when they didn't put in 0W30 before the bill arrived.

Pricing is similar to 5W30 here, more variable with brand than with weight.

The normal (warm) operating conditions for 0W30 and 5W30 are essentially the same.
0W just flows and lubes better when cold.

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (09-07-2011)