View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1234 View Post
There's nothing left to figure out... at least for me anyway. The tires I linked to previously were the best 'value'. As I explained earlier, the sumitomo tires have more tread life but the amount of tread life you gain in that instance doesn't make up for the higher cost.
Well, it's your money. But I don't see your math as all that persuasive yet. You're only considering tread life and price in your cost comparison and that's not enough. For one, no one categorizes these "sunny" tires as LRR. So they may cost more in fuel over their life. And why are they soooo much cheaper than all the other tires? I wonder about their overall quality. Lastly, if you are not mounting your tires yourself, you might want to factor into your cost comparison the labor you'll pay the technician, because you'll be visiting that tire-shop sooner to pay them again for a new set of tires, since these will wear out more quickly. See what I mean?

Oh, and take a quick look at the Kumho LRR tires on tire rack... the tread life is far far longer...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.