View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Great results! Next mod you might want to look into a warm air intake. I believe that that engine really likes them.
I have to agree with Daox that the sixth gen motors seem to like WAIs, but I also have to wonder if your fifth gen engine would. Does it have the same sensors? And be aware, I think the WAI might be reducing power, though I can't tell for certain. Still tests for my car, which Daox helped me understand, showed better than a 1% improvement. That's significant at this level of MPG. My design has evolved a lot, and so I'd be happy to offer what I have learned. Might write it up eventually too.

BTW, thanks very very much for the update. I have been considering something exactly like this--in the distant future when I have more skills, tools, and experience.

One suggestion: my 1998 DX Coupe has a stock curb weight of 2262lbs. I have stripped it down almost to about 2016 or something close to that. I think weight reduction matters when you start to pile up the subtractions. I have managed a 10% weight reduction. You could benefit from your own reduction program, I'm sure.

Thanks again!
james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.