View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
You tease, I thought you were a real nutter and not a talker. It takes a real nutter like Buckminster Fuller to build, the rest of us are just dreamers.

The FWD comment means to me that you need to do a section with human figures. You need to take that next graphic step before doing anything else, in my opinion. It might be okay as FWD, but I favor RWD, always have for some reason.

I was at CCS earlier this summer for a short visit, I'd love to be given a proper tour. Maybe we can set something up before you get to busy. I'll shoot you a PM.

The reason I wanted to "hang" with someone trying to build their own car is I of course have dreams of my own. I'm at that age where the "bucket list" is starting to present it's self (turned 50 over a year ago).

The sketches below are for a rear engined car, the Lotus Evora named "Eagle" in this template is a "base point". The other mid-engined template is parts of a design FFR contest. I think to get the proper rear leg room I will have to go from a wheelbase of 8'-0" to 8'-6". However I need to start cutting some foam and heating some clay up to resolve the body shaping, concerned with the headlight area and windshield area intersections.

Sketch:

Template Modified:

EDIT: Open invitation to anyone curious about hovercraft (my other hobby). See ya all this Saturday?

Bishop Lake Races, Brighton MI
Bishop Lake Races, Brighton MI - Hoverclub of America
I supposed I'll have to put a person in it. I don't see there being much of a problem because the tires and wheels will be super thin like a solar car.

I might come to the hovercraft stuff with a friend... still unsure right now. You're welcome to come check stuff out, although I'm pretty sure we can't bring people into the academic areas.

Here's a pic of my clay model from sophomore year. If you've got questions about it feel free to ask

Saab EVS model- final by Tyler Linner, on Flickr

Anyway I tweaked the model a little today but I think I'm going to have to completely remake the form because it's really bad.

The blue box is the dimensions of a first gen Scion xB.

Blue curve on the top is the expected profile.

Ignore the red straight lines. They help describe the control points on the curves.

Also, I think I'll be staggering the seats in this thing to space them out more front to back while maintaining the tapering plan view.

I'm also going to have to make the bottom of the car come up at 15*.

A little bit of progress by Tyler Linner, on Flickr

The top is not to the template at all. It's too long proportionally to fit the profile to the template. I'll rectify it.

Last edited by Sven7; 09-12-2011 at 10:46 PM..