Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autogyro View Post
First thanks for the photo. "Fast" elliptical windshild profiles are so gorgeous..and very tempting because they're only angled projections of cylinders (styling trick!)
In case one is tempted to roll (!) their own, like me, heres a link i've been looking at.
@Sven: we may be on parallel paths. I'm working up a 30% scale model myself, so I can get decent Reynolds numbers in testing. I hope to start a thread soon.

I decided to do this first ,and then go into OpenFoam CFD. You might be familiar with Symscape/Caedium. The beauty of their system if you can "rent" only what you need, by the month.
Caedium | Symscape
They recently announced that they will accept files from non-pro Sketchup. Look like they have Ecomodders in mind

BTW here's a rough version of the streamliner project, that I was lucky enough to get into FlowIllustrator before it blew up. Chernyshenko is very interested in hearing from anyone who has found it valuable, and if enough of us contact him, he said he'd try to get it running again.
Apologies to those who've already seen this.
How are you making this 1/3 scale model? That's got to take some moola.

I have not heard of either Symscape nor Caedium. I use Autodesk Alias- that's what we're taught for styling and that's all I have time/resources to learn. But who knows. Maybe there's a way to translate it over.

There's also the option of making cross sections, printing them out and making a large MDF fishbone model to cover another way. Then I could make a 1/4 or 1/3 scale to do tuft testing on. It also wouldn't cost me hundreds of dollars in urethane foam to complete.

A friend's old fishbone model and finished model for a class a few years ago.

PICT0066 by abm429, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
The sketch is telling me that the greenhouse and rear fender flanks are blending together like a highlight line that fades out WHILE your text contradicts that and says the greenhouse boattails vertically, like a split window Vette or boattail Riviera. Your instructors haven't taught that?
It was a tiny 4" long sketch. I didn't render it perfectly. You can see that the dark sky tones on the body form go all the way to the rear, while the greenhouse form looks like a split Vette. The forms are chopped off at the rear. Hope that helps.

That's why I'm doing a 3D model. Haven't had time to work on it this weekend.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

A nice study sketch following the expected aero template. We would also be interested on a front elevation or cross section view so we could see its height-to-width ratio. With only the side view it looks 'relatively' tall,, notwitstanding your driver/passenger/s seating arrangement, motor/drivetrain, and fuel tank/batteries locations.

Last edited by botsapper; 09-12-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I'd recommend doing a model in SketchUp, and then producing a 5th/4th/3rd scale model from that; similar to what I did for my CarBEN EV.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 09-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
How are you making this 1/3 scale model? That's got to take some moola.

I have not heard of either Symscape nor Caedium. I use Autodesk Alias- that's what we're taught for styling and that's all I have time/resources to learn. But who knows. Maybe there's a way to translate it over.

There's also the option of making cross sections, printing them out and making a large MDF fishbone model to cover another way. Then I could make a 1/4 or 1/3 scale to do tuft testing on. It also wouldn't cost me hundreds of dollars in urethane foam to complete.

A friend's old fishbone model and finished model for a class a few years ago.

PICT0066 by abm429, on Flickr

It was a tiny 4" long sketch. I didn't render it perfectly. You can see that the dark sky tones on the body form go all the way to the rear, while the greenhouse form looks like a split Vette. The forms are chopped off at the rear. Hope that helps.

That's why I'm doing a 3D model. Haven't had time to work on it this weekend.
Actually, I'm trying to do this on the cheap. If it works, I'll start a thread. I just received most of the stuff today. Basically, Im using a lofted inner structure with foamcore transversals and longitudinals, with rubber extrusion caps on the edges. to smooth things out and provide thermal insulation.
Why thermal insulation? the exterior surface is .060" PVC sheet, formed over the lofted form with a heat gun. I'm hoping to get decent compound curves since the radii are fairly big.
It even has wheels which can rotate
This whole thing is going on a roof rack wind tunnel, with a multi-pressure tranducer matrix and load cells for Cd and Cl. (just like the big boys?)
Automotive body engineering - Roof Rack "Wind Tunnel": A Naive Idea?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BTW: My original "template" was roughed out and developed on Javafoil (generated by a 70 point coordinate set), a free program which produced the bitmap which in turn went directly into FlowIllustrator.
Although only 2D, Javafoil is pretty useful: it does ground effect, and since it allows point by point manipulation you can iterate very quickly. It provides upper and lower air pressure and velocity, with pitch and elevation handles for multiple shapes in the design. (for example, a rear wing) It's a good starting point
It's really too bad FlowIllustrator's not working.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
I will not build this 1:1. .................

The powerplant would probably be a front mounted 3 cylinder diesel with FWD.

Kach you're welcome to come see the stuff and have a talk. CCS has a Tim Hortons inside the building if you want to do lunch
You tease, I thought you were a real nutter and not a talker. It takes a real nutter like Buckminster Fuller to build, the rest of us are just dreamers.

The FWD comment means to me that you need to do a section with human figures. You need to take that next graphic step before doing anything else, in my opinion. It might be okay as FWD, but I favor RWD, always have for some reason.

I was at CCS earlier this summer for a short visit, I'd love to be given a proper tour. Maybe we can set something up before you get to busy. I'll shoot you a PM.

The reason I wanted to "hang" with someone trying to build their own car is I of course have dreams of my own. I'm at that age where the "bucket list" is starting to present it's self (turned 50 over a year ago).

The sketches below are for a rear engined car, the Lotus Evora named "Eagle" in this template is a "base point". The other mid-engined template is parts of a design FFR contest. I think to get the proper rear leg room I will have to go from a wheelbase of 8'-0" to 8'-6". However I need to start cutting some foam and heating some clay up to resolve the body shaping, concerned with the headlight area and windshield area intersections.

Sketch:
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...rial%20Design/

Template Modified:
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...rial%20Design/

EDIT: Open invitation to anyone curious about hovercraft (my other hobby). See ya all this Saturday?

Bishop Lake Races, Brighton MI
http://hoverclubofamerica.org/conten...item_id=170648

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 09-12-2011 at 03:39 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My "bucket" is tipped even further than yours, but I'm doing it for the same damn reason. I believe it's possible to have it all: at least I'm going to give it a whirl. I've already done a lot of design work on the chassis (yes it's a composite) and suspension (very long control arms). The starting point for me was actually two points, the Aptera, and the McLaren F1 (why not?), both very interesting packaging jobs. You have to know that when I was 16, I had a copy of the infamous Costin & Phipps book. (so did Gordon Murray) Beatiful James Allington dwgs, BTW. Sigh...Pen & Ink and Slide rules!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by autogyro View Post
The starting point for me was actually two points, the Aptera, and the McLaren F1
I love both those cars, but never thought of comparing or combining them in any way. Your "starting point" is a real mind bender, I like it.

These cars fit the template rather closely.
Industrial Design pictures by kach22i - Photobucket

1977 Porsche 911s Targa

Chin Spoiler:

Roof Wing
Old 09-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
You tease, I thought you were a real nutter and not a talker. It takes a real nutter like Buckminster Fuller to build, the rest of us are just dreamers.

The FWD comment means to me that you need to do a section with human figures. You need to take that next graphic step before doing anything else, in my opinion. It might be okay as FWD, but I favor RWD, always have for some reason.

I was at CCS earlier this summer for a short visit, I'd love to be given a proper tour. Maybe we can set something up before you get to busy. I'll shoot you a PM.

The reason I wanted to "hang" with someone trying to build their own car is I of course have dreams of my own. I'm at that age where the "bucket list" is starting to present it's self (turned 50 over a year ago).

The sketches below are for a rear engined car, the Lotus Evora named "Eagle" in this template is a "base point". The other mid-engined template is parts of a design FFR contest. I think to get the proper rear leg room I will have to go from a wheelbase of 8'-0" to 8'-6". However I need to start cutting some foam and heating some clay up to resolve the body shaping, concerned with the headlight area and windshield area intersections.

Sketch:

Template Modified:

EDIT: Open invitation to anyone curious about hovercraft (my other hobby). See ya all this Saturday?

Bishop Lake Races, Brighton MI
Bishop Lake Races, Brighton MI - Hoverclub of America
I supposed I'll have to put a person in it. I don't see there being much of a problem because the tires and wheels will be super thin like a solar car.

I might come to the hovercraft stuff with a friend... still unsure right now. You're welcome to come check stuff out, although I'm pretty sure we can't bring people into the academic areas.

Here's a pic of my clay model from sophomore year. If you've got questions about it feel free to ask

Saab EVS model- final by Tyler Linner, on Flickr

Anyway I tweaked the model a little today but I think I'm going to have to completely remake the form because it's really bad.

The blue box is the dimensions of a first gen Scion xB.

Blue curve on the top is the expected profile.

Ignore the red straight lines. They help describe the control points on the curves.

Also, I think I'll be staggering the seats in this thing to space them out more front to back while maintaining the tapering plan view.

I'm also going to have to make the bottom of the car come up at 15*.

A little bit of progress by Tyler Linner, on Flickr

The top is not to the template at all. It's too long proportionally to fit the profile to the template. I'll rectify it.

Last edited by Sven7; 09-12-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Old 09-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I supposed I'll have to put a person in it. I don't see there being much of a problem because the tires and wheels will be super thin like a solar car.
Interesting, I bet that sort of thing helped the early VW Beetles too.

I overlaid another sketch I had lying around, plus put your 4" sketch to the template - hope you don't mind. Your recent work looks very promising, and I'd like to know more about how you put that clay model together.

Industrial Design pictures by kach22i - Photobucket

1977 Porsche 911s Targa

Chin Spoiler:

Roof Wing
Reply  Post New Thread