View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #298 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
First successful cuts on PhlatPrinter 3!

On the Phlatprinter 3, I changed out the tension wheels for bearings and it cuts the foam! Woohoo! They had a fair amount of friction, and it now cuts the big pieces (over 5' long) with less than 1/16" error!

I need to eek out a little more cutting depth it is a bit less than a 1/4" left and cutting it out leaves a rougher edge than I'd like -- the bit cut edges are smooooooooth. I also need a tweak or two on the layout -- and I'm cutting the next piece of foam "for real"!

Here's the bearings as tension idlers:

The good thing about the idler wheels is the timing belt has greater contact with the small drive pulley. I need all the torque I can get!

And here are the first 4 pieces sitting on top (in their approximate position) of the quarter scale model.

The original 24th scale and 12th scale egg crate models are on the right. These pieces are from my second test sheet, so the bigger pieces were all cut up from the earlier aborted starts, and you can see a few stray cuts on the right side passenger window piece. You can just make out the jigsaw puzzle joints at the apex of the sides and the roof.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/