View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Yes your alternator is charging.

Yes that is about normal.

Yes you will have to disable the alternator by pulling the belt( if able to) or with a kill switch.

Your alternator is working less hard with a full charge to start with, so there is some benefit, and the deep cycle is more suited to this kind of use than a regular automotive starting battery.

You are moving along the same path that I am, but I have a few larger fish to fry before I get back to alternator work. I have the kill switch already working, but the old starting battery I have won't die.
Thanks for the response, hey. My old starting battery held on a long time too. In fact, it probably would still serve, but I got tired of it's occasional semi-failure and of kinda fearing a sudden complete failure at some point when I might really need it to work.

I tried a full alt disable late today--took off both the white cable and the 4P connector, leaving the belt in place. A test run was satisfactory. Over about 15 miles the volt meter showed a decline from the 12.5 to 12.1/12.3. LED brake and running lights probably help a lot, as did the maintainer, I'm sure.

I am at a loss as to a really good plan for the alt disable switch and how to integrate the 20w/1.5amp solar panel that will complete this mod.

I have a trip planned for tomorrow that I can't avoid and that I plan to do alt free... we'll see if I make it!

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.