View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
I drilled an extra 3 holes in my sprocket so I could vary the timing a few ways to experiment. The way I did it was to set the ignition timing at 0 with the cam in the stock position then change to one of the other holes and check the timing till I found a combination of holes and belt tooth positions that gave me the advance range I wanted. After that I set the ignition to whatever I was using at the time.

The distributor will always move the same amount advanced or retarded as the cam so if you start with the ignition at 0 then it is easy to see what the cam is doing. You will have to reset the timing when you are done anyway so use it to make sure the cam is where you want it. The xfi has the same cam sprockets as the other metros so there is no need to worry about what one is best.

The best mileage I found was with the xfi cam advanced 4-5 degrees and everyone on teamswift says a standard cam is best at 10 degrees advanced. So 10 degrees is about half a tooth distance, one tooth off on the belt and you are 18 degrees off, so you can pretty much eyeball where the hole needs to be for 10 adv. But if you don't want to try it they are sold on teamswift for like 25 bucks already drilled at 10 degrees.