View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
You might be on to something.

I have read that 10.8 is where you need to stop using the battery. I would up that to 11 volts even.

Is there any posibility you can put more solar power on your car?
This set up currently runs without the panels. Originally, I had thought I would install 100-120 watts on the roof, fill the whole area. That costs for the new, 2.5mm thick, cells I planned to buy. Now I am thinking minimum 20watts (min 1.5 amps) or maybe doubling that. Such a set up is more affordable and fits nicely on the aft portion of the roof. I may be able to aeromod the part that sticks up to look like one of those quasi, mini shark-fins. I want to run the radio or fan or both without radically depleting the battery on my daytime 22 mile commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Another good thing to know is the lower your system voltage goes the more amps out of your solar panel.
The panels I plan to build for my truck for example, the 6x6 cells I have should make a panel good for between 4 or 5 amps at 14.5 volts, but when the system voltage dropps off to 12 volts and less the amps from the panel should rise into the 5 to 6 amp range.
This is why I am wiring up those salvaged 0.4 amp float charging panels for 22.5 ocv, that way I get the whole 0.4 amps any time the sun is on them. I have tested them and they are good for holding battery voltage on 2 large truck batteries just over 13v.
This is very interesting. How are you wiring it up.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.