View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #42 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
As with most automations at that scale, it is severely sub-optimal. I'm not sure the i10 one DOES work with EM drivers. Do you know for sure if you can manually kill it with precise timing (or hold a button in for 20 seconds?!?), and will it restart on it's own if you manually kill it?
I have test driven an i10 Blue, but only in "normal driver" mode.

To allow the stop-start to work the engine has to be warmed up, and you have to be at a standstill and put the handbrake on and put it into neutral (manual box only). After a short wait the engine goes off - not sure how long the delay is but it felt like under 10 seconds. Dip the clutch pedal to get into first to set off and it starts again pretty much instantly - by the time the clutch is down and the gear lever moved the engine is running. If you shut the engine off manually it won't restart when you press the clutch - it only auto-restarts if it auto-shutoff even if you put the key back into the run position.

I agree this is sub-optimal compared to an avid EM'er, but to a regular driver this is straightforward and makes a real, measurable difference to their FE.

Quote:
We should try education too, not just technological compromises and obstructions and costs and complications.
We could, but this is simple technology which makes a real, measurable difference for a normal driver to use. Seems like a positive to me. It also moves the i10 into the £0 a year tax bracket due to low CO2 output FWIW.

Quote:
Seriously, quit spending money and learn how to manage heavy equipment efficiently.
Doesn't that kind of invalidate the idea of the 'modder' bit in Ecomodder, except for the "nut behind the wheel" bit ?

Although I agree, technique makes the biggest initial gains to anyone before you actually make any vehicle changes.

EDIT - this technology is transferrable - Hyundai and Kia (same company these days) will start to roll it out to all their models. Someone on an Aygo/C1/107 forum has actually added a DIY system to their car as well.