View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #81 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
As I've read through this thread; I couldn't believe the number of members, who obviously had not even visited Craigs' website. Ignorance is bliss! What Craig is trying to do is to create another Volkswagen; or peoples vehicle. One that doesn't require a lot of skilled driving techniques to get superior mileage. One that anyone could just jump on and drive on a 400 mile trip and use 3 gallons of gas. Or the wife could use to get groceries. Something that's versatile and fun to drive; that can keep up with highway traffic, without worrying about being run over by irate drivers. Pulse and glide in traffic on a bike; you must have a death wish. With Craigs bike and your skill, what kind of mileage would be possible? If you don't like his design, than design your own and beat him at the next Vetter challenge. But you'll have to play by his rules. His game, his rules. Like it or not. And don't feel bad if you feel insulted by anything Craig may have said or done; the whole world thinks were a bunch of loonies anyway.
Hey neighbor! I'm about 5 mi from you.

I have studied Craig's site extensively, and now better understand his views, but some of the rules sound like they are designed to produce "the best 2-wheeled vehicle for Craig Vetter's needs". 70 MPH into a 30 MPH headwind isn't a typical requirement for most. How about the small tires of a scooter for extended highway riding? Isn't that a problem? Most current cycle riders will most likely prefer a "conventional" riding position over a reclined "scooter" position. There are so many different styles of cycles out there because people have different wants/needs. I don't think there is any one type of cycle that will fit for everyone, that's why I like to see some of the unusual designs that people come up to satisfy their needs. Making too many specific rules, so they require a certain type of vehicle, defeats creativity IMO.

I think the Challenge is neat, but I wouldn't want to see it become a quest to find the best modified scooter.

If developing a 2-wheeled Volkswagen Beetle is the objective, why not just start producing one? If it's really what people want/need they will buy it - right?

Jay