View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Geo Metropolis
Enthusiastic EcoModder

Gnatmobile - '96 Geo Metro LSI
90 day: 44.68 mpg (US)

theRAV - '01 Toyota RAV4 NV
90 day: 21.07 mpg (US)

ACCELICA - '95 Toyota Celica GT Convertible
Last 3: 23.46 mpg (US)

The Van - '05 Chevrolet Uplander LS LWB
90 day: 21.04 mpg (US)
That's a good note. This is a San Diego car that occasionally makes it to Arizona, if you live in a snowy place, you need to give some care when drilling into your undercarriage. I would bet you could still do it you would just need to seal up all the screw points. I live on a wood boat and freshwater getting into wood rots it really fast and this can be expensive and even dangerous. The solution if you have to put a screw into the wood is to fasten the screw, then unscrew it, dip the threads in a legit waterproof sealant like 3M's 5200 then replace the screw. It takes like 24 hours to fully cure but it will be waterproof and pretty much indestructible from this point on. This would definitely work for keeping out road salt but 5200 might be a bad choice because it's so strong you might not be able to remove the screws later.

So far no melting and i've driven it up to operating temp a couple of times. Time will tell. My plan is to let it melt a little to indicate where, if anywhere I should trim and heatshield. The front portion of the belly pan didn't exactly melt anywhere but some of the plastic did get a little warped from the heat so I simply trimmed those pieces off.

Actually looping the zip-ties over the suspension components seems to have been a really good solution for keeping the bellypan snug with the suspension parts. I think installing it with the wheels fully off the ground helped accommodate for the full range of motion and it seems like it all works great.