View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #63 (permalink)
Joe1234
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
My desire to own an Insight is not just that it's a 70mpg car but that it's also an aluminum body, here in Wisconsin most vehicles rust out before the drive train wears out, I also really like the feel sitting inside of it.
My current Civic VX came from out of state where salt is not used on the roads so it's rust free with 220,000 miles, I've been averaging about 8,000 miles a year so I figure I have about ten years left before rust over takes it and at that point in time the rest of the car should be showing a little wear as well, at that point in time I'll need to replace it and by then Insights should be in my price range.
Well hell, in 10 years a lot could've changed. Battery tech could improve to the point where electric vehicles are even more of an attractive option. I'm sure the insight will be obsolete tech by then. It uses NiMH batteries and they're already crap compared to LiPo batteries. Not only that, they'll be in need of replacement with that age. The cars themselves are kinda *******y looking too. Right now they sell for $7,000+. If gas goes up enough they may still sell for $7k or more if the auto market hasn't produced better alternatives by then. The bottom line is that, in 10 years, There will likely be long-range electric cars that will make a lot more sense to buy vs a 20 year old insight.