Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

quick follow up

Thank you for the compliment, I am here to learn and share info so we can all better our mileage.

I measured the header this morning when I got home from work because it was on my mind. The tube is slightly oval shaped and measures approximately 1.25" by 1.5" with my caliper.
If you use the calculator mcrews suggested between 1.25" and 1.5" is large enough to flow ALL 62 HP and would be large enough properly exhaust the capacity of the complete engine. When/if I build a new set I will likely use 3/4" primaries tubes. I haven't calculated the length yet but will be longer than these ebay junk.

Good day/night to all. Dave

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1234 View Post
insights are too expensive IMO.
My desire to own an Insight is not just that it's a 70mpg car but that it's also an aluminum body, here in Wisconsin most vehicles rust out before the drive train wears out, I also really like the feel sitting inside of it.
My current Civic VX came from out of state where salt is not used on the roads so it's rust free with 220,000 miles, I've been averaging about 8,000 miles a year so I figure I have about ten years left before rust over takes it and at that point in time the rest of the car should be showing a little wear as well, at that point in time I'll need to replace it and by then Insights should be in my price range.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
My desire to own an Insight is not just that it's a 70mpg car but that it's also an aluminum body, here in Wisconsin most vehicles rust out before the drive train wears out, I also really like the feel sitting inside of it.
My current Civic VX came from out of state where salt is not used on the roads so it's rust free with 220,000 miles, I've been averaging about 8,000 miles a year so I figure I have about ten years left before rust over takes it and at that point in time the rest of the car should be showing a little wear as well, at that point in time I'll need to replace it and by then Insights should be in my price range.
Well hell, in 10 years a lot could've changed. Battery tech could improve to the point where electric vehicles are even more of an attractive option. I'm sure the insight will be obsolete tech by then. It uses NiMH batteries and they're already crap compared to LiPo batteries. Not only that, they'll be in need of replacement with that age. The cars themselves are kinda *******y looking too. Right now they sell for $7,000+. If gas goes up enough they may still sell for $7k or more if the auto market hasn't produced better alternatives by then. The bottom line is that, in 10 years, There will likely be long-range electric cars that will make a lot more sense to buy vs a 20 year old insight.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
People say the same kind of thing about owning a 18 year old Honda Civic and my hope is that in 10 years that more people hold that opinion about the Insight because it'll mean I can get one for even less at that point in time.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The difference is that the VX is mature tech while the insight it new tech that is bound to rapidly change over the years as they perfect it. That will make it all the more obsolete, namely in battery and electric motor technology.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #66 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
OT comments...

First gen. Insights can be found cheap (at least four 1st gen. cars on this site were sub $2k, that I can think of). Ask me how I know . They're probably rarer than VX's, but keep your eyes open for ones with dead battery packs.

A dead battery pack is not an issue in a gen. 1 car. You can still drive it. You lose hybrid assist/regen and a few other functions. See: Dead Insight = Ecomodder recommended pick

But you still have a lightweight, very aerodynamic, corrosion resistant car with a 1L lean burn engine and tall gearing that can get better fuel economy than anything else you can buy.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #67 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
PS - congrats on finding an unmolested VX!

If they weren't just distant, rusty memories around here, I would have bought a VX instead of getting into Metros / Fireflies when I did.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #68 (permalink)
lead foot

I found this thread today as I am in the middle of my build, 87 CRX with a 49 state VX swap. My swap came with everything except the stock manifold and everything behind it. I have not only 20+ years of Honda swapping experience, but my father has been building custom headers since before I was born. That being said I have 3 options, find a stock manifold from a VX or any D series Honda, buy a cheap, lightweight tri-Y, or build a header custom for the application. My google search to what would be the best header design led me to this thread......... So if someone has a good idea, I'll build it and post results.... Keep in mind swap won't be done till later in the year.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

does the regular dx fit? if so, that sure would be the easiest/simplist solution.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #70 (permalink)
lead foot

DX is completely different so no, it wont fit...... Also, the reason why they put the cat so close to the head on FE car has nothing to do with FE, it's for emissions, which is just as, if not more important to the car company..... In my case, I really could care less about emissions, I drive so much that I'm spending 400 a month on gas while driving an 04 civic averaging 31mpg, so if can hit 60, that's 200 a month savings. My CRX will have A/C and a 12" sub.

Reply  Post New Thread