View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
With the disclaimer than I'm not in America or an American could I suggest including American Graffiti. There is an interesting contrast in the film between all the "attractive" guys with their fancy (and fast) cars and one of the main characters being a nerdy deep thinker type driving a 2CV.
America is so loud you can hear it over the great waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Ads are also a great way to see how things change over time - the 40s and 50s super optimistic future "jet" looking cars, 60s "good life", late 60s muscle and then into 70s nervousness about energy supply and cost, and where they start to push MPG etc.
These are great suggestions. The rhetoric of these ads will offer students examples of how cultural constructions of the car and driving looked in America, what the marketing research had helped the agencies to produce for the sell.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.