View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Will there be an output from this course, a presentation or document you could post up, I would love to see it as I'm sure others would too.
I'm hoping there will be a car and tests of a car. Perhaps an Android or iPhone app. Definitely some traditional papers. Some of that production will be postable for sure. The course is democratic in structure, meaning I don't dictate the projects but rather lead with ideas, negotiate the actual content, and facilitate their problem solving. That does sometimes mean that my expectations are not part of the final product, making the final outcome hard to predict. And this project has special obstacles: I am certain the university will raise liability concerns when I propose getting access to or buying an old RUNNING car--perhaps a friend's Metro, perhaps something else. But even if I cannot get a car, using my own I would like to answer at least one EM Forum question, which would be the level of pollution produced by a relatively new car driven with the pulse and glide. If the cost is not too ugly, I could rent a five gas analyzer on the course budget. I have a lot of ideas... need to recruit students and start structuring it with them.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.