View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kodak
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Purchased new tires

I purchased new tires today. They're Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's.

The Continental CrossContact LX (LRR) was on my list, but the dealer said my size was out of stock with no est. return date. To boot, TireRack no longer lists it in 225/75R15, so I suspect that something is up with that.

Anyway, I think the SR-A is stock on some vehicles, and Consumer Reports ranked its rolling resistance to be excellent (although I don't know their methods). I suspect that it's the kind of tire that has low rr, but isn't technically considered "LRR."

My initial impression is that they are a lot stickier than my General Ameri GS60's, which had 35,500 on them when I prematurely changed them out. (One was pretty much near the wear bars, winter is coming and I just barely bought them in time for a GM rebate). I can definitely feel the resistance when accelerating. Maybe some of this is just new tire feel, since the tread is 11/32, but better traction in bad weather was what I wanted.

I also went down to 36psi from close to 40.

In a few weeks I'll have some data to look at for FE. I'm just hoping to stay above 23. Currently getting a little over 23.5 on my commute.

If FE drops I think it'll be that extra incentive to build the air dam and fog light covers, although I hope it doesn't.

Thanks for reading.